Learning Objectives of the Experiment
In this experiment, you will be able to do the following:
- Learn about the divide and conquer strategy and how it can be used to solve the sorting problem.
- Given an unsorted array of numbers, generate a sorted array of numbers by applying Merge Sort
- Understand Merge Sort operations: splitting and merging, also the associated time complexity through interactive animations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of time complexity of Merge Sort by counting the number of operations involved in splitting the array at each level and then merging in sorted order.
- Compare Merge Sort with other sorting algorithms and realise Merge Sort as a stable comparison sorting algorithm.